1/3 cup of Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Garlic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 fresh turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
A pinch Durango smoked sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2-3 cups. of chicken or vegetable broth
1 whole lemon, halved
1 Spanish onion, quartered
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place 4 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil in saucepan and heat lightly. Add the zest and juice of the lemon, garlic and 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves to the olive oil cook for about 5-6 minutes. Add broth and mix until uniform. Set aside.
3. Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash the turkey inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers and pat the outside dry.
4. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the turkey cavity. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, halved lemon, quartered onion, and the garlic. Brush the outside of the turkey with the herbed olive oil mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey. Drizzle some of the herbed olive oil/broth mixture all over turkey and place into oven.
5. Begin roasting process and occasionally every 30-40 minutes drizzle turkey with mixture or baste.
6. Roast the turkey about 2 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh. Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil; let rest for 20 minutes.
Enjoy! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
*Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Turkey Recipe