FROM OUR FAMILY’S HOME TO YOURS! Homemade Rustic Pizzas that all will love!
-1 lb. pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
1/2 to 1 c. sauce: tomato sauce, white sauce, or no sauce
2-3 c. other toppings: sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms, pepperoni, cooked sausage, cooked bacon, diced peppers, leftover veggies, or any other favorite toppings
1-2 c. (8 to 16 ounces) of your favorite cheeses- Jarlsberg, goat cheese, mozzarella, fontina or bleu cheese
1. Heat your oven to 400+ and going higher is better to give you ideal overall cooking of your pizza.
2. Divide the dough in the middle or roughly in half. Approximately 1 pound of dough will give you two pizzas.
3. Roll out the dough: But before you do be sure to throw flour on your kitchen counter to work with if not the pizza will adhere and stick. Attempt to roll out pizzas that are around 10-12 inchs wide and once rolled out use a fork to “stab” your pizza. The more holes you place, the less likely it will form bubbles so “stab” away!
4. Once finished place pizza on a wooden pizza paddle to make transferring the pizza into the oven easier. If you don’t have a paddle you can use a pizza stone or tray. Cook the pizza for 2-5 minutes depending on the strength of your oven but, basically until the pizza is firm. We pre-cook the pizza to make toppings preparation easier and ensure that it will cook evenly.
5.Top the pizza: Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce into the center of the pizza and use the back of a spoon to spread it out to the edges. Pile on all of your toppings. This is the part where you can decide whether you will be making white pizza (no sauce or white sauce) or a traditional pizza (red sauce). Here are some of the pizzas we love to make:
- Tomato & Mozzarella with Fresh Basil ( top with tomatoes, fontina cheese, fresh mozzarella, garlic and sprinkle seasonings)
- Serrano Ham& Roasted Red Bell Pepper (serrano ham/prosciutto, mozzarella, shredded jarlsberg, roasted/sauteed red peppers, olives, seasonings)
- Red Onion & Bleu Cheese ( red sauteed onion or caramelized onions, bleu cheese, roquefort or castello bleu, smoked sea salt, garlic, olives)
6. Bake the pizza:This part can be tricky however, depending on the type of toppings, quantity and overall thickness your pizza may cook about 10-18 minutes. Cook until the outside perimeter of pizza looks golden and cheese looks thoroughly melted.
****PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE****
3.5-4 c. all-purpose flour & some extra for rolling out dough
1 Tbs. raw honey
1 envelope instant dry yeast
2 tsp. kosher salt
1.5 c. cups water, 110 degrees F
2 Tbs. Garlic or Tuscan Herb extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 tsp.
- Mix flour, honey, yeast and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine. While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about 1 hour or more. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.